Wednesday 29 August 2012

Planning my first trip outside of Europe

I’m so excited, because I am planning my first big trip.
I have done some trips before, but always within Europe. I have been to Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, … This time I want to explore another continent.

My dream destination is Australia, but this is a really expensive trip. I am prepared to put this dream aside for a while and start with a destination that’s a liiittle less expensive, but still on my very long TO DO list. Thailand was my second best choice and I am really looking forward to it. The land of smiles is quite cheap for such a tropical destination and therefore a perfect trial-trip.
I am not a girl-‘backpacking’-scout and I have the biggest arachnophobia you have ever seen, so this is all new to me. I dream about the places I will visit, the food I will eat, the people I’ll meet, but there are fears and other things I need to overcome! But I want to accept this personal challenge and I am (almost) sure I will be fine back there. I love Asian food, I love smiley people, so what on earth can possibly go wrong besides wiping my ass with the wrong hand?
A friend on Facebook (who’s not your friend on Facebook?) recently went to Thailand and came back with amazing pictures and stories about elephants, friendly people, great food and panoramic views.
My choice for this country became more obvious and I immediately started looking up some information. I went to the library and got me some travel guides.
I am currently listing our sightseeing stops, then I will plan a route and the final step… Booking! We’re hoping to take flight somewhere about March 2013.
TOP STOPS
  1. Tiger Kingdom
    A bit controversial. Meany people who have been here were not so sure if the tigers were fully conscious. Whispers are going around that they’re drugged, but I have to go there! I have to see this with my own eyes to have an opinion.
    My biggest wish before I die is to have pet a big kitty (not a fat one, but a REAL big one. A tiger for example), so this is my chance..
     
  2. Island hopping
    White beaches, blue lagoons, waterfalls, …
    I allow myself a little bit of de-stress time at the end of my backpack adventure and before I start working again.
     
  3. Chiang Mai Evening Market
    Lots and lots of food and lots of souvenirs for friends, family and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment